Still wondering which top works best for you?
The truth is, most women have a wardrobe full of tops but wear only a few of them (I’m guilty too!).
Because these might be the only tops or clothes that work best for them.
So if are you looking for some perfect tops to add to your favorites, go for tops that are not only trendy but something that suits your body type.
Comfort and style are not enough, tops should always match your body shape to achieve your best appearance.
So before we jump into the details, knowing your body type is the first step to what clothes work best for you. You might belong to an hourglass, pear, apple, banana or inverted triangle shape. So do you know what your body type is?
We understand that at times it can be difficult to find the right tops. But don’t ya worry! Our goal is to help you mine for that gold (the tops that match your body shape!)
Knowing your body type can save you a considerable amount of money and too much time when choosing outfits like tops.
YOUR MUST-HAVE TOPS FOR YOUR HOURGLASS SHAPE
If you got an incredible hourglass curve like Marilyn Monroe or Beyonce, you might want to know their secret as well when it comes to choosing their outfit.
This body type is the most balanced of all with a proportionate top and bottom part of the body and a well-defined waistline. So when you look for tops, choose the ones that do just that for you. It is a body every girl dream to have, so love it!
Although almost anything looks great on this body type, here’s your must-have tops to show off your narrow waist.
· V or plunge V and sweetheart necklines help you flaunt your upper body and toward your defined midsection.
· To flaunt your waistline, go with a belt at your natural waistline or below the belly button—either way it only looks great.
· Wrap tops or anything with a round neck or boat neck. This is the perfect top to highlight your best stuff. (That’s your waist!)
· Peplum blouses-pairing it with a pencil skirt is the most elegant way of wearing it. This top mirrors your shape which is your defined waist
· Tailored tops with ample room in the chest
· Keyhole-A subtly sexy detail to accentuate your curves without being too revealing.
Tip: With your amazing curves, your blouse should sit well at the right curves and follow the outline of these curves so fitted and structured tops look naturally great on your frame.
Tops to avoid:
· Loose tops might kill the look.
YOUR MUST-HAVE TOPS FOR YOUR TRIANGLE OR “PEAR” SHAPE
If your body type happened to be like Kim Kardashian or Jennifer Lopez, then forget about hourglass shape! (your pear-shaped body rocks!)One advantage of a pear-shaped body type is that you can create an illusion of an hourglass figure if styled correctly.
Your pear-shaped body is all in the lower part of your body. Your butt and thighs are visually bigger than your upper body. Your shoulders are narrow and your hips are wide. So when choosing an outfit like tops, all you have to do is to strike a balance.
To balance out your overall silhouette, you’ll want tops that accentuate your top half as well as your defined waist. Look for light, bright colors or prints in any of the below styles.
· Patterned or ruffled tops that add definition to the upper body can make you look great.
· Loose tops that paired with skinny jeans help create an hourglass illusion.
· Square-neck or any open neckline like, plunging V or deep-V, scoop or boat necks that show off your collarbone and chest helping draw the eye up.
· Cowl-neck draws the eye up and adds volume thanks to the draped fabric.
· Scoop neck or a deeply curved wide neckline.
· Crop tops or sweetheart will help balance your bottom out.
· Peplum is a waist-defining top so it’s good to choose this as well.
· Pear shapes look excellent in statement tops that draw the eye upward and accentuate the waist or neckline.
· Bell-sleeves or sleeves fitted around the shoulder and upper arm and flares out to the wrist like a bell.
Tops to avoid
· Avoid skin fitting tops and loose bottoms, unless you prefer the look
YOUR MUST-HAVE TOPS FOR YOUR SPOON SHAPE
Having a spoon body shape means your hips are larger than your bust and they have a “shelf” appearance. You have a defined waist and your lower legs and arms are shapely.
So spoon-shaped gals must choose tops that highlight the slimmer upper body to create a more balanced look with the lower body. Tops that help elongate the torso and draw the eye to your upper body are great options for spoon-shaped bodies.
So when buying tops for a spoon body shape, aim for tops that add volume to the bust area. Or tops that draw attention to the shoulder region.
What are these tops?
· Tops with an empire waist or a fitted bodice that rests right underneath the bust area are a good choice as it creates a high-waist appearance.
One tip when looking for empire waist tops is to look for those that will loosely skim your lower abdomen, hiding any tummy bulges. But make sure they drape close to your body to avoid looking pregnant.
· Off-shoulder tops emphasize the beauty of your shoulders. These versatile tops elevate your look and also draw attention to your upper body creating a balanced look.
One tip if you are petite is to look for tops that have ruffles to create more volume in the region.
· Boat neck and wide U/V neck tops balance your fuller lower body by drawing the eye to the shoulders.
· Tops with ruching adds more volume to the bust region creating harmony with your bottom.
· Tops with embellishments around the bust help draw the eye to your bust and away from the wider lower body.
· Tops with ruffles or bow-tie neck details help draw attention to your top body as well.
· Tops with princess sleeves help add volume to the shoulders which also creates harmony with your larger mid-section of the body.
· Strapless tops help accentuate your shoulders.
· Princess cut tops are exceptionally great at highlighting the smallest region of your torso and hiding the bulging tummy or hip region.
Tops to avoid:
· tops with a tie just below your bust line
· narrow-shouldered tops
· tops that narrow your upper half
YOUR MUST-HAVE TOPS FOR YOUR INVERTED TRIANGLE OR LOLLIPOP SHAPE
You, inverted triangle people, have the most athletic-looking body type. Your shoulders are much broader than your hips. So, your arms and shoulders need to be enhanced as much as you can. You have to remember to add definition to your hips and thereby to focus on creating a balance.
Tip: You may opt for dark-colored tops to make your upper body seem smaller
Tops to avoid:
YOUR MUST-HAVE TOPS FOR YOUR APPLE OR “ROUND” SHAPE
You will fall under this apple-shaped figure when you have a heavier upper body in comparison to your lower part of the body. People with this body type usually have broad shoulders, bigger bust line, and that’s why it feels like the weight gathers around the midriff.
Stylists may recommend tops that have some shaping around the waist and more open necklines, or clothing that shows off your legs. These tops or pieces look amazing on your apple frame.
Now that we’ve established a baseline, let’s get specific. Here are the best tops to complement your apple-shaped frame.
· A-line silhouettes or triangle-like silhouettes that begin fitted at the waist and get gradually wider from the hips down to the hem.
· Flowy tunics hanging loosely or freely
· boyfriend button-ups
· V-neck style tops help break up a uniformly shaped top half.
· Wrap since it is specifically constructed to create a more defined waistline.
· Dolman-sleeve- Arms and shoulders get a boost of volume with airy sleeves.
· Peplum has a built-in waist that flows out, adding some curve to a less defined area.
· tops that fall lower than the hip bone,
Tops to avoid:
· off-shoulder tops
YOUR MUST-HAVE TOPS FOR YOUR RECTANGLE SHAPE
The rectangle-shaped body is usually well balanced from the shoulders to the hips. So, there is not too much of a definition to your silhouette, and it’s fairly straightforward.
Your arms and legs are the assets. So, focus on enhancing that. It’s like the hourglass figure minus the defined waistline.
Obviously, you have an athletic figure so why not draw attention to your muscular arms and defined shoulder? Anyway, the tops that are good for you are:
· Halter styles or sleeveless shirt with straps being tied around the neck.
· Racerback styles
· Tops with scoop & round necklines is a great way to draw the attention upward your body
· Strapless, sleeveless, off-the-shoulder tops and sweetheart lines are your thing.
· V-neck (whether you go with a deep V or something a little more shallow) is ideal for highlighting your collarbone.
· Detailed collar or a split mock-neck paired with raglan sleeves pulls the eye up by adding volume to your upper body.
· ruffled and layered tops
· If you’re looking to add some curve to your waistline, choose tops that can be tucked in.
· Belted tops also help create the illusion of a more slender waist.
Shopping for your best tops
You don’t like to repeat shopping nightmares because you are not informed that clothes should fit your body type. Now that you understand why certain tops or clothes do not appear fabulous on you, you will be smarter when shopping for tops or clothes in online stores.
While you may choose clothing that suits your body type like our suggestions here, the choice is ultimately yours. Mix and match clothes in your own way as long as you are happy and confident with your look.
May Joy is a writer and editor with extensive background in journalism and academic writing. She also writes for blog post contents with knowledge in SEO. She graduated as Cum Laude at the University of the Cordilleras.
From clothing to sunglasses, celebrities always have the say on what’s hot or what’s not. But, it’s important to know that not all sunglasses styles fit your face. Different frames work best on different face shapes. (Got it?) If you love sunglasses, you knew for sure that your wardrobe is not complete without a...
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.