You might have bought the dress that appears so gorgeous on the mannequin but found out later that it doesn’t look fabulous on you!
If this happened to you, then now is absolutely the time to know your body type. Why? Because identifying your body type can take you in finding your most flattering fit in a dress.
But take note, you should know that style is not all about sporting the trendiest outfits. Nor the most expensive dress! It’s about highlighting the best features on your body through your outfit.
So to be able to do this, we will help you know your body type first. And you will be successful in your quest in searching for that dress that’s perfect for your body type and best features.
So what are the body shape types, anyway?
Well, have you ever heard the words pear shape, apple shape or banana shape? You may not a fan of the idea but these fruits are used to describe the different body types less technically and scientifically.
These fruits that represent our body type are also known with different shapes such as triangle, inverted triangle, rectangle, round, diamond and oblong.
Still, most of us can categorize our shape with these few broad categories:
To help you identify your body type and the kind of dress that best suits you, continue reading this blog with a purpose in mind.
1. HOURGLASS BODY TYPE is also known as “curvy shape”
Just like the literal hourglass or sandglass, the hourglass body shape is balanced and harmonious with a curvy body figure.
How to know if you have an hourglass figure?
· Your bust and hips are proportional and well-balanced or have equal measurements.
· Your waist is narrower, clearly defined and has a curvy body. (Good for you, accentuate this asset!)
· You may have a fuller bust, hips, and thighs (wow!)
· Your upper body has the same length as your leg length.
Top hourglass: it is similar to the regular hourglass but your bust measurements are slightly larger than your hips.
Bottom hourglass: You have a clearly defined waist just like the top hourglass but your bust is smaller than your hips.
What are the perfect types of dress for your hourglass shape?
If you belong to this category, your hourglass figure is the envy of almost all women (who wouldn’t? you have an amazing curve!) but that doesn’t mean that you have any more dressing issues! So here are the best dresses for you that naturally shows off your best feature:
· Dresses with v-necklines and open necklines
· Dresses that have clinched-in waistlines
· Wrap dresses with belted waists are also great options for your hourglass figure!
Note: If you love trapeze or other loose-fitting silhouettes, you may simply add a belt. The general rule of thumb when you’re in doubt is to simply belt it!
Do NOT wear:
· Baby doll dresses or short dresses/gowns that are loose-fitting.
· Shapeless styles
· Empire waist styles or dress that has a fitted bodice ending just below the bust.
· Oversized dresses as they won’t highlight your curvy figure
· Flowy styles won’t show your best feature
2. PEAR BODY TYPE is also known as “triangle shape”
If you’re not comfortably likening your body shape to a fruit, (p-pear? what’s up with the fruit?) then feel free to call it triangle shape! Women with a triangle body shape typically have a slimmer upper body and larger hips and thighs making it like a triangle shape.
How to know if you have a triangle figure?
What are the perfect types of dress for your triangle shape?
Stylists usually recommend dresses that show off your waistline if you are pear-shaped body or triangle shape.
· Dresses with dropped and embellished necklines (you don’t have to worry about accessorizing since the jewelry is already built-in!)
· Dresses with open backs, dramatic sleeves and belted styles can exaggerate your more slender upper body.
· A-line styles of dress that are fitted above and around the hips but flares gently to the hem also look fantastic on you.
· Any hemline that hits right below the knee will elongate your frame and slenderize the hips and thighs.
· Maxi dresses that are formfitting at the top and flowing at the bottom can add more volume to your upper half body.
Do NOT wear:
· Oversized/shapeless style dress (same with hourglass shape!)
· poofy skirts or bubble skirts
· Super-short hemlines
· Curve-hugging fabrics
3. SPOON BODY TYPE
This body type is similar to the triangle or “pear” shape which is characterized by a curvy and large hip with a slimmer upper body.
Compared to a pear body shape, a spoon-shaped body may have a larger tummy, while the pear shape typically doesn’t.
How to know if you have a spoon figure?
What are the perfect types of dress for your spoon shape?
What Not To Wear
4. inverted triangle also known as “lollipop”
The inverted triangle body type is the opposite of the pear shape since their body follows the shape of a “V”.
How to know if you have an “inverted figure?”
What are the perfect types of dress for your inverted triangle shape?
Go for dresses that flare from the waist to the hips, which will balance your broad shoulders.
Do NOT wear:
5. APPLE BODY TYPE is also known as “round”
The apple body shape is a variation of the inverted triangle where you also have broader shoulders and a thicker, less defined waist.
Compared to inverted triangles, apple shapes carry a little more in their midsection while triangles do not.
How to know if you have an “apple figure?”
What are the perfect types of dress for your round shape?
Do NOT wear:
Anything that turns the eye to your midsection, such as:
6. ATHLETIC SHAPED BODY TYPe is also known as “rectangle” or straight shape.
It is also called a “boyish” body type- your hips, waist, and bust are about the same size. Your body is well proportioned and athletic in appearance.
Like the rectangle shape, this shape of your body is also called the straight or ruler body. Happily, your shape looks great in almost everything, you can flaunt or conceal as much as you feel comfortable.
How to know if you have a “rectangle figure”?
What are the perfect types of dress for your rectangle shape?
A stylist may recommend these styles of dresses:
· Dresses that will balance the upper body and fill your slight hips, such as dresses with embellishment, ruffles or any other volume-increasing details.
· tube dresses and belted waists
· halter style to show off your back
· Choose strapless (with a great push-up bra) or plunging necklines to play up your bust.
· A-lines and lower waistlines are very flattering
· If you have bigger busts, dresses with ruching and draping, U-necklines, and V-necklines will all help play up the curves of your body and make your bust look its best!
· dress with a cinched midsection can give your body a more feminine shape
· Love your legs? Hike up that hemline.
Do NOT Wear:
· Hemlines that are too short
· Strapless dresses like spaghetti straps and dresses that don’t have enough support (especially if you have a bigger bust)
· Dresses that are stretchy through the torso, as well as dresses with details/shirring/ruffles on the bust.
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else! And that applies to your body shape and body measurements too. So if a dress looks gorgeous on others but does not appear good on you, don’t give up. We purposely made these articles to guide you in shopping for that most beautiful dress for your body type. And with so much choice nowadays, there’s a dress type to suit everybody. So if you have doubts, you may read this guide again.
Once you know what dresses work well with your body type, you can save much time when browsing dresses online! You will be confident that you buy that dress that fits you well.
So what dress styles work best for your body type? Let me know in the comments below!
May Joy is a writer and editor with extensive background in journalism and academic writing. She also writes for blog post contents with knowledge in SEO. She graduated as Cum Laude at the University of the Cordilleras.
A stunning expensive gold necklace ended up looking cheap on you? That’s because the jewelry does not match your skin undertone. Now, I must let you in on a secret…One key to achieving the best look in your favorite outfit is to match the jewelry you wear with your skin undertone. And that’s not all,...
Let’s be honest here, wearing sunglasses is an effortless way for us to look stylish! You’re not dreaming to be like John Elton (who was rumored to have 1,000 plus pairs of sunglasses!) but having sunglasses in your wardrobe gives you endless benefits! Using sunglasses regularly prevents the harmful UV rays of the sun from...
You must be logged in to post a comment.